Glossary of eLearning Terms
- affiliate marketingAffiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which businesses reward affiliates for each customer they bring in. It can be used to increase website traffic and sales.
- analyticsAnalytics are tools used to measure website performance and user behaviour. They can provide insights into visitor trends, conversions and other data points.
- analytics dashboard An analytics dashboard is a tool used to track website performance and user behaviour. It includes data points such as page views, visitor demographics and more.
- andragogy Andragogy is the practice of teaching adults. It focuses on providing content that is engaging, relevant and tailored to the individual’s needs.
- animations Animations are visuals effects that are used to bring elements of a website to life. They can be used to create things such as transitions, transitions and more.
- APIAn API is a set of programming instructions that allows two applications to communicate with each other. It can be used to access data, enable functionality and more.
- appAn app is a software application that runs on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. Apps can be used for anything from gaming to online shopping.
- assessment and evaluationAssessment and evaluation are methods used to measure a student's performance in an online course. These methods can include quizzes, tests, surveys, rubrics and more.
- Astra themeAstra is a lightweight WordPress theme designed to be fast, secure and highly customizable. It offers features such as page builders, WooCommerce integration, custom colors and fonts, and more.
- backend The backend of a website is the code and database that powers the frontend. This includes server-side programming languages such as PHP, databases such as MySQL, and more.
- blogging Blogging is the practice of writing and publishing blog posts on a consistent basis. It can help websites reach more people and increase engagement.
- cache Cache is a temporary storage location for data. It can help websites load faster and reduce strain on the server.
- call-to-action (CTA) A call-to-action (CTA) is an element on a website that encourages the user to take action. It usually includes things such as buttons or links with text like "Sign Up" or "Learn More".
- category A category is a type of organization used in WordPress to organize posts and pages. Categories can be used to group together similar types of content, such as blog posts or products.
- chatbot A chatbot is an automated program that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to simulate conversations with human users. They are commonly used in customer service and marketing.
- classroom managementClassroom management is the process of organizing, managing and motivating students in an online course. It includes techniques such as setting expectations for student behaviour, providing rewards and consequences for activities and monitoring student progress.
- content deliveryContent delivery refers to the method by which information is presented to a student or user. This can include text, audio, video, images and multimedia.
- Content Management System (CMS) A CMS is a platform used to create, manage and publish websites. It includes features such as page builders and plugins that make website creation easier.
- content protectionContent protection is a feature that prevents content from being downloaded or shared without permission. It can help protect the intellectual property of authors and businesses.
- course builder A course builder is a platform that allows users to create and sell online courses on their website. It includes features such as grading, quizzes, certificates and more.
- CSS CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets and is used to style the content of webpages. It includes things such as font sizes, background colors, margins and more.
- discussion forum A discussion forum is an online platform for people to discuss topics related to the website's subject matter. It is commonly used to allow users to interact with each other.
- DNS DNS stands for Domain Name System and is used to translate domain names into IP addresses. This allows users to access websites by typing in a domain name instead of an IP address.
- domain name A domain name is the address used to access a website. It can be purchased from a hosting service or registered through a third-party provider.
- eCommerce eCommerce refers to conducting business online. It includes features such as product listings, payment processing and more.
- eLearning eLearning refers to any form of learning that takes place electronically, usually over the internet or through an app on a laptop, tablet or phone.
- email automation Email automation is a feature that allows businesses to send automated emails based on user activity or triggered by an event. It can be used for marketing, customer service and more.
- email marketingEmail marketing is a type of direct marketing that involves sending promotional messages or newsletters to customers via email. It can be used to build relationships with customers and increase sales.
- featured image A featured image is an image that is associated with a post or page in WordPress. It is usually displayed on the frontend of the website and is used to represent the content.
- footer The footer is the bottom section of a page and typically includes things such as copyright information, social media links and more.
- forumsA forum is an online discussion board where users can post questions and comments, or discuss specific topics. It is a great way to engage with students, provide support and build community.
- frontend The frontend of a website is the portion that users can see and interact with. It includes things like layouts, content, images and other elements.
- functional prototype A functional prototype is a working version of a product or website. It is used to test the usability and functionality before releasing the final version.
- gamification Gamification is the process of using game-like elements such as points, badges and leaderboards to motivate users and encourage engagement. It can be used in marketing or education.
- Google Analytics Google Analytics is a service which allows users to track website traffic and user behavior. It can be used to measure things such as the number of visitors, pageviews, conversions and more.
- Google Search Console Google Search Console is a service which allows users to monitor their website's presence in Google search results. It also provides information about things such as crawl errors and indexed pages.
- header The header is the top section of a page and typically includes things such as logos, navigation bars and more.
- heutagogy Heutagogy is the practice of self-directed learning. It focuses on providing learners with the ability to take control of their own education and choose what they want to learn.
- home page The home page of a website is typically the first page that users see when they visit. It usually includes information about the company or website and links to other pages.
- hostingHosting refers to the process of storing webpages on a server so they can be viewed online. Hosting providers provide servers and other tools needed for websites to run properly.
- HTML HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language and is used to structure content on webpages. It includes elements such as paragraphs, headings, images and more.
- integration Integration is the process of connecting two or more systems together in order to share data or functionality. This can be done through APIs, plugins or other methods.
- interactive content Interactive content is any type of content that requires user interaction to be viewed or used. It can include quizzes, polls and more.
- landing pageA landing page is a web page designed to capture leads or drive conversions. It typically includes a headline, copy, images and a call-to-action (CTA) button.
- LearnDash LearnDash is a WordPress plugin that makes it easy to create and sell courses online. It offers features such as course creation, student enrollment, content delivery, quizzes and more.
- LearnDash assignment A LearnDash assignment is a type of content within a course which allows users to submit their own work. It can be used for things such as essays, videos and more.
- LearnDash course A LearnDash course is a set of lessons, quizzes and other content that can be used to teach a user about a certain topic. It typically includes things such as videos, text, images and more.
- LearnDash groups LearnDash groups are used to organize learners on a WordPress site powered by LearnDash. Groups can be used to assign courses, track progress and more.
- LearnDash lesson LearnDash is an eLearning plugin for WordPress which allows users to create and sell courses. A LearnDash lesson is a type of content within a course which consists of text, video, audio and other elements.
- LearnDash quiz A LearnDash quiz is a type of content within a course which allows users to test their knowledge after completing the course material. It typically consists of multiple choice questions and can be used to assess user progress.
- LearnDash topic A LearnDash topic is a type of content within a course which can be used to group elements together. It typically includes things such as lessons, quizzes and assignments.
- Learning Management System (LMS) An LMS is a platform used to create, manage and deliver online courses. It includes features such as course creation, student tracking and content protection.
- membership platform A membership platform is a website that allows users to pay for access to exclusive content or services. It can include forums, courses or other features.
- membership siteA membership site is a website that requires users to pay a subscription fee in order to access its content. It can be used to offer exclusive content or services.
- menu A menu is a type of navigation bar that is used to link to different parts of a website. It can be used for things such as linking to posts, pages and more.
- metadata Metadata is data about data. It includes things such as titles, descriptions and more which are used to describe the content on a website.
- mobile optimization Mobile optimization is the process of ensuring that websites are optimized for mobile devices. This includes creating responsive layouts, optimizing images and improving page loading speed.
- multi-lingual Multi-lingual is the ability to provide content in multiple languages. It can help websites reach a wider audience and increase sales.
- multimediaMultimedia refers to any form of communication that uses multiple forms of media such as text, audio, images and video. It allows for more engaging content delivery than single-media communication.
- MySQL MySQL is a database management system used for storing data. It is commonly used with server-side languages such as PHP to create dynamic websites.
- navigation bar A navigation bar is a type of menu that displays links to different sections on a website. It is usually displayed at the top or side of the page and can be used for things such as linking to posts, pages and more.
- online coursesOnline courses are offered electronically and often allow students to learn at their own pace from any location with an internet connection. They can include a variety of content delivery methods such as text, audio, video and multimedia.
- online marketplace An online marketplace is a platform for buyers and sellers to conduct business transactions. It can include physical goods, digital products, services and more.
- page A page is a type of content created in WordPress. Pages typically have a title, an author and content, and can be used for things such as contact pages or about pages.
- page builderA page builder is a plugin that allows users to quickly create custom webpages without writing code. It typically includes drag-and-drop tools and other features to make the process easier.
- payment gatewayA payment gateway is a service that enables merchants to accept payments online. It encrypts sensitive data such as credit card numbers, ensuring secure transactions.
- payment gateway A payment gateway is a service that facilitates online payments. It includes features such as fraud protection and recurring billing.
- pedagogyPedagogy is the science or art of teaching. It involves understanding how to best facilitate learning, and includes techniques such as classroom management, assessment and evaluation.
- permalink A permalink is the permanent link to a post or page. It is often used as the URL for that post or page, and it is typically displayed on the frontend of the website.
- PHP PHP is a server-side scripting language used for web development. It is commonly used alongside databases such as MySQL to create dynamic websites.
- pluginA plugin is a piece of software that adds functionality to a website or application. In the case of WordPress, plugins are used to extend the functionality of the platform.
- post A post is a type of content created in WordPress. Posts typically have a title, an author and content, and are organized by categories and tags.
- quizzesQuizzes are tests used to measure a student's knowledge or understanding of a particular subject matter. They can be used to track student progress and provide feedback on their performance.
- recaptcha Recaptcha is a service which can be used to prevent bots from accessing websites. It requires users to prove that they are human by completing a challenge, such as selecting images or solving a puzzle.
- responsive design Responsive design is the practice of designing a website to look good on any device. It is essential for providing an optimal user experience.
- role A role is a type of user in WordPress. It determines what kind of access a user has, such as whether they can create posts or edit pages.
- search engine optimization (SEOSEO is the process of optimizing web pages to help them rank higher in search engine results. It involves techniques such as keyword research, link building and content creation.
- SEO SEO stands for search engine optimization. It refers to the process of optimizing websites for better visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs).
- shortcode A shortcode is a small piece of code that can be used to add extra functionality to a website without having to write large amounts of code. They are used to embed content, create forms, display data or other information, and more. Shortcodes can also be used in page templates or widgets to(...)
- sitemap A sitemap is a list of all the pages on a website. It is usually used by search engines to find and index content on a website.
- social mediaSocial media refers to websites and applications that allow users to interact with each other. These platforms can be used for sharing content, building relationships and promoting products or services.
- social media integration Social media integration is a feature that allows users to share content on their social networks. It can help increase website traffic and engagement.
- SSL certificate An SSL certificate is a digital certificate that encrypts data sent between a web server and browser. It helps protect customer information from being intercepted by malicious actors.
- student managementStudent management refers to the processes used to ensure that students have access to the course content they need in order to complete the course. This can include providing access to course materials, tracking student progress and offering feedback on their work.
- student trackingStudent tracking is a process used to monitor the progress of students in an e-learning course. It includes features such as quizzes, assignments and other activities.
- subscription model A subscription model is a business model where customers pay a recurring fee to access exclusive content or services. It can be used to generate consistent revenue over time.
- tag A tag is a type of organization used in WordPress to organize posts and pages. Tags are usually more specific than categories, as they can be used to group together related content, such as blog posts about a specific topic.
- theme A theme is a set of design files that control how a website or application looks and feels. Themes can be purchased from third-party vendors or created by developers. They can also be customized with CSS and HTML.
- Uncanny Groups for LearnDashUncanny Groups for LearnDash is a WordPress plugin that allows you to create groups for your LearnDash courses. It enables users to easily assign and manage group memberships, as well as track student progress within the group.
- Uncanny Toolkit Pro for LearnDashUncanny Toolkit Pro for LearnDash is a WordPress plugin that adds additional features and functionality to the LearnDash platform. It includes tools such as content protection, quiz tracking and user reporting.
- user A user is someone who has an account on a WordPress site. Users can have different roles and permissions depending on the type of account they have.
- user experience (UX) User experience (UX) is the overall feeling that a user has while using a website. It includes things such as usability, design, content and more.
- user interface (UI) User interface (UI) is the part of a website that a user interacts with. It includes things such as navigation bars, buttons, menus and more.
- user journey The user journey is the process of a user navigating through a website. It includes things such as where they start, what they do and how they complete their goal.
- user login User logins are used to authenticate users and allow them access to a website or restricted content. They typically consist of a username and password, which the user must provide in order to gain access.
- webinar A webinar is a live online seminar where attendees interact with each other and the presenter. It can be used for training, education or marketing purposes.
- website security Website security is the process of protecting a website from malicious attacks. It includes measures such as installing an SSL certificate and updating software regularly.
- widget A widget is an element that can be added to the sidebar or other areas of a WordPress site. Widgets can be used to display content such as recent posts, social media links and more.
- WordPressWordPress is a content management system (CMS) used to create websites and blogs. It is an open source platform that can be easily customized with plugins and themes.
- WordPress database The WordPress database stores all of the content and settings for a WordPress website. It includes things such as posts, pages, comments, users and more.
- WordPress themes A WordPress theme is a collection of templates used to create the design of a WordPress website. It includes elements such as layouts, colors, fonts, images and more.